Suburbs: border places surrounding the city, external boudaries, perimeters. We use to think as suburbs like something that stands alongside, outside the centre, that stands altrove (italian for “elsewhere”). Actually they’re often places of our daily routine: they’re the places of home, in which we live our intimacy, outside of the ever moving, never resting, urban jungle. It is for this reason, and because of their decentered position, that the suburbs might end up being overlooked, silently sitting out of the spotlight, overshadowed by the pulsating professional, cultural and artistic heart of the city.
altrove is an open call for all the photographers that have explored the suburbs.
Suburbs: fields and factories, industrial and craft areas, but also residential areas; grey, tall and bare buildings, fancy and refined townhouses or terraced house.
Today suburb isn’t suburb anymore, but suburbs, a place no longer defined by a single shape, by the border’s or the edge’s pattern, but a multi-faceted, fluid and ever changing place.
We are searching for photographers able to offer a glance at suburbs, capable of capturing their expressiveness from a personal point of view, revealing one of the thousands shades of their essence.
Subscribing this contest means you automatically agree to these below-mentioned rules:
- The open call is open to photographers from already 18 to 35 years old.
- Participants must apply just for one series linked to the suburbs theme, composed by a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 7 photos. The photos must be named in the following way: name_surname_projecttitle_01.jpg (long side 1500 px, 72 dpi).
- The authors must fill-in the PDF application form that can be downoloaded from the website.
- Candidates must send a portfolio of the their work, included their art statement in a PDF version.
- All the materials must be sent by
May 12, 2019 May 26, 2019 (extended deadline)at 23:59 (GMT+0), in only one WeTransfer e-mail, addressed to email@example.com. The sending of two or more weTransfer mails will be a condition for the exclusion of the artist application.
- The selected authors, have to send the photos in high resolution, for a printing destination, by May 27, 2019.
- Participants automatically agree to the use of all the materials sent for communication purposes (on and off line).
- Every candidate declares that every possible person present in their works has given her/his own consent for the execution of the photos.
- Every author recognizes to have the authorship and the originality of the photos and that these do not present offensive contents neither material that violates the law.
- The SantaGiulia Fine Arts Academy, as organizer of the exhibition, assumes no responsibility for the informations sent by the artists.
- The Institution will realize the whole project at its own expense.
- Every photographer has the copyright of her/his images.
- At the end of the exhibition, the selected works will be kept by the SantaGiulia Fine Arts Academy for archiving and making known the Istitution’s activities.
- The decisions taken by the jury, composed by the curators and Alessandro Mancassola, are unquestionable.
- Foppa Group employees and collaborators can’t participate to the contest.
For more informations contact the organization at the e-mail